How To Use A Weed Wiper
Unlock the precision of weed control with our guide on how to use a weed wiper. Dive into practical insights, step-by-step instructions and expert tips to master this targeted approach for managing unwanted vegetation. Whether you're a seasoned gardener or a novice, join us as we explore the art of weed wiping and empower you to achieve a weed-free landscape with precision and efficiency.
You will need:
- Weed wiper
- Herbicide approved for use in a weed wiper
- Spray indicator dye, eg Blue-gem
- Plastic bag
- Correct PPE (overalls, rubber boots, chemical resistant gloves & face shield)
What Is a Weed Wiper?
A weed wiper is a hand held device that enables the user to precisely target specific weeds in a safe, simple & economical way without risking damage to other plants or wildlife. A Weed Wiper is ideal for use in plants and borders, as well as being used to selectively kill tough weeds such as Ragwort and Docks in grassland, which often works out cheaper than using a paddock weed killer.
The Weed Wiper is light to carry, easy to use, economical with a minimal water requirement. Empty, the Weed Wiper weighs 0.65kg.
Before using any herbicide, all labels and safety instructions must be read and followed.The operator must also wear appropriate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) such as face shield, gloves and rubber wellingtons.
- The Weed Wiper will then need to be filled with the herbicide you intend to use, being careful not to mix too much and create wastage.
- Re-fit the filler cap and invert the Weed Wiper. You will need to carry it with the rope upwards until you reach the area you want to treat. Carrying with the rope facing the ground will cause leakage.
- If you want to identity treated weeds, we recommend using a spray indicator dye such as Blue-gem.
- The flow rate needs to be set so that it is appropriate for the conditions and area you are treating. EG a large area with dense weeds you may have to increase the flow rate by loosening both if the caps, as well as the filler cap.
- Wipe the weeds you want to treat with the rope end of the Weed Wiper, being careful not to touch any weeds you do not want to treat. We recommend treating both sides of the weed for best results
- Once you have finished, the caps need to be screwed tight and Weed Wiper needs to be stored upright with the rope wick in a plastic bag to prevent it from drying out. You must always follow manufacturers instructions when disposing of unused chemical.
Do not walk over treated areas as footwear will spread the herbicide. We recommend starting at the furthest point and making your way back to avoid transferring chemicals to areas you do not want to cover.
If a vacuum is created during use, simply shake or turn the Weed Wiper upside-down for a few seconds to allow air to enter into the chamber. Alternatively, the filler can be loosened during use to stop a vacuum forming.