Why Remove Moss & Weeds?
Moss and weeds in your lawn compete with the grass, blocking out sunlight and using up nutrients. This inhibits turf growth and looks unsightly. It also encourages disease to flourish in your lawn if left untreated.
On sports surfaces, moss and weeds can affect the playing surface leading to poor playing conditions. They can also lead to pitch mark problems on golf greens.
When is the best time to treat moss and weeds in a lawn?
Moss and weed treatment should take place in autumn or early spring.
What options are there to treating moss and weeds in my lawn?
This guide will focus on using a granular Feed & Weed Moss Killer which is a four in one granular application to treat your lawn. There are several brands available however we recommend Nutrigrow Feed, Weed & Moss Killer as it is one of the most cost-effective brands available. You can also treat weeds in your lawn using a Selective Weedkiller such as Thrust. Selective weed killers target only the weeds in your turf and not the grass itself. To treat moss in your lawn, you can use a liquid iron solution such as Ferro-Gem or Soluble Iron Sulphate. Finally if you need give your lawn a nutritional boost, strengthen your turf and green the grass, you can use a lawn fertiliser such as Nutrigrow Spring Lawn or Spring Rise. Although it is possible to perform all four actions using separate products, it is often easier for the amateur gardener to use a four in one product, such as Nutrigrow Feed, Weed & Moss Killer.
How to Remove Moss & Weeds From Your Lawn
1. Apply the granular Feed, Weed & Moss Killer to your lawn according to the instructions. For Nutrigrow Feed & Weed, the application rate is 32g per m². This can be done by hand or by using a fertiliser spreader. Take care not to overdose the lawn, as this may also kill your grass. A 5kg tub will cover 160m², which is twice the size of the average UK Lawn! Keep pets and children off the lawn until the granules have dissolved. Take care not to sprinkle granules onto hard surfaces as they contain iron, which will stain patios and concrete.
2. Wait for the granules to dissolve into the soil. The fastest way to do this is either spread just before it rains, or water the lawn after spreading. Once the granules are dissolved, pets and children are allowed back onto the lawn. If you do not water the lawn or it doesn't rain, it will take three to five days for the granules to dissolve.
3. Once the granules have dissolved, the Feed & Weed will begin to work. It will blacken the moss and kill the weeds. The speed at which it works will depend on a number of factors such as temperature and humidity, however Nutrigrow Feed & Weed has been know to blacken moss and kills weeds within hours.
4. Once the moss has blackened and died, you need to remove it from the lawn, as it does not decompose very quickly. The easiest way to do this is using a rake or a scarifier. This mechanical removal of the surface debris from the turf is an important aspect of good lawn maintenance.
5. After removing the moss and weeds, you may be left with bare patches. Apply topsoil and a quality lawn grass seed to any bare areas to ensure your lawn remains thick and green.
6. The nutrients in the Lawn Weed & Feed will take three to five days to work, however they will enhance turf growth and strength as well as green the grass for up to six weeks after application. After six weeks, you can reapply the Feed & Weed if moss and weeds remain, or switch to a nutrient only fertiliser such as Nutrigrow Spring Lawn Fertiliser.